-
October 21st, 2001, 09:53 AM
#1
jevries
Guest
I did a shoot for a videoclip to be broadcasted over here in the Netherlands.
I shot it on 8mm KodakK40 film. The problems started during the shooting, I could hear the cartridge rattle (grindingsound) in the camera. I used a total of 20 cartridges and 6 of them had this defect even some cartridges that sounded okay had some parts in it with shakey (up and down going) footage like the films sticks or something.
The shop that sold me the films stated that it has to be a defect during manufactoring.
Can anybody tell me if he had the same problem and what to do about it because I think 6 out of 20 is to be defect is way to much.
laterzzz, Jeroen.
-
October 21st, 2001, 10:17 AM
#2
eddie
Guest
Ive had the shakey problem but it was due to
my camera. I think the little sprocket gear was missing the sprocket holes, causes the film to be jumpy. Its an old camera.
Ive never heard of the problem with the film.
I hope you figure this out, 20 rolls of film is a lot.
Good luck.
------------------
-
October 21st, 2001, 10:52 AM
#3
Mr Blackstock
Guest
I had similar noisy problems with the cartridge, but it too was the problem, I learnt that i had to be careful about how the film was loaded.
------------------
-
October 21st, 2001, 02:20 PM
#4
mattias
Guest
the film can stick to itself, if stored at the wrong temperature for example. tap the cartridge pretty hard ten times with your finger before loading. it can help. i've had the grinding sound a few times, but it never had any impact on the registration. thank you canon. ;-)
/matt
-
October 21st, 2001, 05:28 PM
#5
jevries
Guest
Thanks for the replies, I've let the Camera (NIZO) checked at my local store and he couldn't find anything wrong with it.
After that we took a (defect) cartridge and put it in 3 different cameras all gave the same grinding sound. And yes we tapped the cartridge with our finger but still it was there.
How can you load a cartridge wrongly? I just put it in gently and close the camera.
I think that it has to be a problem with the cartridges since we have taken all the care to get it right.
I wish they would sell the film on a roll with a camera that's fit to it. Maybe more hassle loading but less hassle with the endresults now I have to steady most of the shots using the computer.
Laterzzzzzzzz, Jeroen.
------------------
-
October 22nd, 2001, 09:12 AM
#6
#Pedro
Guest
Sorry, but it IS definitively the cardrige. I know that from somebody who is working closely together with Kodak here in Germany and Switzerland. Sometimes beating and pushing the film makes the cardrige run again, sometimes not. In nearly all cases the pic stability is extremly affected. The only solution is to send the cardrige back to Kodak BEFORE exposing, in order to get a new one. The only way, that Kodak gets aware of this problem.
It happended to me with one of 16 cardriges in 2000, with 1 of 4 cardriges in spring 2001 and with 1 of 17 cardriges in summer 2001.
Pedro
------------------
-
October 22nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
#7
jevries
Guest
Thanks Pedro for your reply, so it remains a problem. In the future I have to order way more cartridges to get the job done.
But what is most irritating that it also happens while shooting, the cartridge sounds okay from the start but after exposing there are parts in the film that are unstabile.
So I guess I have to attach a orthoscope to my camera to notice the grinding sound in between shooting.
Did anyone has experineces with the PRO8 mm films? They are way more expensive but the whole range in ASA is very good.
laterzzzzzzz, Jeroen.
------------------
-
October 22nd, 2001, 11:39 AM
#8
Mr Blackstock
Guest
The cartridge may not be alligned properly in the gate, or too high in the cartridge compartment. One camera I had actually tore the perforation from the film, I discovered that the gate guide was bent, possibly by a previous owner. Thats why when i load film, i make sure it is a "comfortable" fit.
------------------
-
October 24th, 2001, 06:11 AM
#9
#Pedro
Guest
remark: I had the problem ONLY after loading a new cardrige, in the very beginning. The problem occured with a Beaulieu 9008 and a small Canon 514XL. With the Beaulieu it?s easyer to recognize, as the camera noise itself is far more silent than the clappering of the Canon.
It?s not worth trying to do anything to make such a cardrige run.
Better send it back and let Kodak know how is the quality...
Pedro
------------------
-
October 24th, 2001, 03:31 PM
#10
Alex
Guest
Definitely send the roll of film to Kodak.
If you can contact a human being before sending the cartridge in, ask them to give you a reference shipping number that you can put on the outside of the package, that way when it arrives, they can type in the coded number and get a computer reference telling them exactly what the problem is. (I am assuming they offer this level of service)
Getting another roll of film is fine, but if the manufacturing standards are getting lax, that is a bad thing and Kodak needs to be notified.
Any Kodak reps out there that may want to say Hi?
We would be thrilled.
------------------
Alex
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks